The ion Visa Prepaid Card is simply a Visa Prepaid card, loaded with your funds, that can be used everywhere Visa debit cards are accepted. Benefits and features of the ion Visa Prepaid Card:
- Use your card everywhere Visa debit cards are accepted. You can spend, shop and pay bills – online, in person and by phone.
- Reloadable with cash or direct deposit – convenient for receiving your pay from your employer or government benefits provider.
- Easy access to your card account via
- Text and email alerts**
- Smartphone mobile device
- Online cardholder website
- Customer service
- Companion cards available
- Ability to get cash when needed by making PIN debit purchases with “cash back” or from thousands of ATMs worldwide
- Safer than carrying cash – can be replaced if lost or stolen
- Protection with the Visa Zero Liability policy*
Where can I purchase an ion Visa Prepaid Card?
Although the ion Visa Prepaid Card is no longer available for purchase, you can now purchase an ion total Visa Prepaid Card! To learn more about the ion total Visa Prepaid Card, please visit myiontotal.com. Find a retailer and purchase your new card today!
If you need a replacement card for your ion Visa Prepaid Card or would like to order a companion card, those are both still available. Just visit iontotal.com or call 866.692.9356 today.
- In-store, where you purchased your instant issue card
- By Phone: 866.692.9356
The cost of the personalized card is $5. This charge will be deducted from your available balance. Please allow 7 to 10 days to receive your personalized card in the mail. Once received, follow the steps to activate so that you can begin using your new personalized card. Upon activation of your personalized card, your instant issue card will no longer available for use. Don’t worry if you were already taking advantage of direct deposit or automatically paying bills, this will continue seamlessly with your new card.
The money on your card is available to spend everywhere Visa debit cards are accepted. You can use your card to shop and pay bills online, in-person, or by phone or mail. Reload your card with your cash at thousands of reload locations including where you purchased your card, and through a Green Dot MoneyPak or Visa ReadyLink. For MoneyPak, a service fee of up to $4.95 will apply.
What do I need to do before I use my card for the first time?
After you load funds onto your card for the first time, you may use your card to make signature purchases, which are purchases that do not require a PIN to complete the sale or transaction. Before you use an ATM or make PIN purchases, you must create and select your PIN. To create and select your PIN:
- Set your PIN online, or
- Call the phone number on the back of your card
- Enter your 16 digit card number
- Enter the last 4 digits of your Social Security number or other accepted documentation
- Follow the prompts to choose your PIN
- Spending and Making Purchases: Everywhere Visa debit cards are accepted.
- Getting Cash: You may use your PIN for “cash back” purchases at many merchants. You may also withdraw cash at ATMs displaying the Visa®, Plus®, or STAR® Acceptance Mark.
How do I pay using my ion Visa Prepaid Card?
With the ion Visa Prepaid Card, you can use the card everywhere that Visa debit cards are accepted. When paying for your purchases, you typically will have two options:
- Swipe the card or provide to the cashier to swipe, select “Credit” and sign the receipt if required.
- Select “Debit” and enter your 4-digit PIN. When “Debit” is selected, many merchants will give you the option to receive “cash back,” in many cases for no additional charge.
How do I use my card at self-swipe merchant locations?
At certain merchant locations (such as grocery stores and discount retailers), the merchant usually requires you to swipe your card at the checkout location. Swipe the card in the machine, select “Credit” and sign the receipt if required, or select “Debit” and enter your PIN.
- Select the items you want to buy.
- Proceed to “check out” or follow the prompts from the merchant.
- Select Visa as your payment option.
- Enter your 16-digit card number, the 3-digit security code if required (it is the last three digits printed in the signature panel on the back of the card), and your expiration date.
- For the billing address, enter the address listed on your card account.
What do “preauthorized holds” mean to me and the availability of my funds?
Please note, there are some pending transactions that may be more or less than the amount you have actually spent. This is because some retailers place a “preauthorization hold” on your card prior to settling the final transaction amount. Examples of “preauthorization holds” include, but may not be limited to:
Fuel Purchases - When purchasing gas, we recommend you pay inside instead of at the pump. For example, many gas stations make a preauthorization for an amount up to $100 to cover a fuel purchase at an automated dispenser. This will happen even though you may have “pumped” less than the preauthorized hold. To avoid this preauthorization hold on your card, it is recommended that you pay inside for your gas by giving the attendant your card and stating the total amount, in dollars, you would like to purchase.
Tipping Merchants - Some merchants will add an amount of up to 20% to the total sale or bill to cover tips. While you may not choose to tip this amount, the preauthorized hold will still be placed on your card.
Travel - Hotels and rental car companies may also require a preauthorized hold on your card to cover the total amount of the final bill. Individual policies vary; however once the hold has been placed on your card, it cannot be removed until the transaction is settled or the hold expires. Hotels may hold for up to 30 days; rental car companies may hold for up to 60 days. Please contact the hotel or car rental company before you use your card to be sure you completely understand the payment terms they require.
- Insert your card into the machine.
- Enter your PIN when prompted.
- Select “Checking”.
- Enter the amount you would like to withdraw, up the amount of funds on your card or $500.
- Accept the fee if you wish to withdraw the funds from the ATM.
- Take your cash and card.
Important information about using an ATM:
- The ion Visa Prepaid Card charges a $2.00 ATM withdrawal. Please see your Cardholder Agreement for more information.
- ATM owners will charge a “surcharge”. Please be sure to deduct this from your available balance.
- Only $500 may be withdrawn at an ATM per day.
In addition to the ATM Cash Withdrawal Fee disclosed on your Cardholder Agreement, most ATM operators add an additional convenience fee or “surcharge” to the transaction. This fee is separate from the $2.00 ATM Cash Withdrawal Fee.
You may use your card at any ATM that displays the Visa, Plus, or STAR Acceptance Mark or visit the ATM locator to find the nearest location.
You can get “cash back” when making a PIN debit purchase. When completing your transaction, enter your 4 digit PIN when prompted, and select the amount of cash back you wish to receive.
If you do not have any cardholder activity, for example: no purchases, ATM withdrawals, reloads, or direct deposit for a period of 6 months, your card will be considered inactive. Cardholders on the Pay-As-You-Go fee plan will have a Maintenance Fee of $5.00 per month charged against any remaining balance on the card. This fee will not be charged should cardholder activity resume. Cardholders on the Unlimited Purchase Plan will continue to be assessed their monthly fee with no additional inactivity charges.
The card is valid until the last day of the month that is printed on the front of your card. Just prior to the expiration date, you will receive a new card in the mail with the same card number, at the address we have on file for you. Follow the instructions with your new card to activate. Once your new card is activated, destroy your old card as it will no longer be valid.
How do I load additional funds onto my ion Visa Prepaid Card?
You may add money or load your prepaid card using the following methods:
- At participating ion Visa Prepaid Card retailers
- Through Purchasing a Green Dot® MoneyPak® (a service fee up to $4.95 will apply)
- Loading cash at a Visa ReadyLink location
- Direct deposit from your employer or benefits provider
- In the package containing your instant issue card.
- On this website.
- From your employer’s HR or Payroll department.
- From your Federal or State Benefits provider (for example: Social Security, Unemployment or Child Support).
- In the personalized card packet received in the mail (if purchased).
Fill out the form and give it your employer or benefits provider. Sign any required paperwork and be sure to ask when your pay will first be received on your card. Additionally, you may simply give your employer the following information and sign any required forms:
Bank: The Bancorp Bank, Wilmington, DE
Routing Number: 031101169
Account Number: You will find this number in the white box on the back of your card. It is called “Customer Number.”
The maximum number of times you may load your Card per day at a participating ion Visa Prepaid Card retailer is five (5). The maximum number of times you may load your Card per day through Green Dot MoneyPak or Visa ReadyLink is four (4), with a maximum of ten (10) loads per month. There is no limit to the number of times you may load your Card via direct deposit per day.
You will have access to funds loaded via cash immediately. Funds availability for direct deposit loads are subject to timing of payer’s funding but will always be made available the morning of the effective date of the deposit.
How do I know how much money I have available on my ion Visa Prepaid Card?
There are several ways that you can check your card balance.
- Login to your card account and check your balance for free anytime.
- Sign up for balance and text messaging delivered to your cell phone. There are several options for you to choose from. Standard text messaging rates may apply. See phone carrier for details.
- Visit the location where you purchased your card and a teller can check your balance for you.
- Call the automated system at 866.692.9356 and follow the voice prompts to access your balance.
What is the best way to track my spending?
It is extremely important that you keep track of your balance and you can do that easily by logging onto the cardholder website. You should always record the amount you load, the amount you withdraw or pay to retailers, as well as any applicable fee associated with that transaction.
I would like to order an additional ion Visa Prepaid Card so that a second cardholder can share my card account, including balance. How do I do that?
To order your companion card (also known as a “Joint Card”), you must first acquire and activate a personalized card. Please follow the steps below to order your personalized and companion cards.
Step 1: Order a personalized card
- You can order your personalized card by visiting the retailer where you purchased your card or by calling customer service at 866.692.9356.
- Please allow 7 to 10 days to receive your personalized card in the mail. Once received, follow the steps to activate so that you can begin using your new card. There is a Personalized Card Replacement Fee of $5. This charge will be deducted from your available balance. (Please note: your personalized card will be the same design and color as your instant issue card.)
Step 2: Order your companion card
- Once you have received and activated your personalized card you can order a companion card, either online at ionprepaid.com or by calling customer service at 866.692.9356.
- Please allow 7 to 10 days to receive your companion card in the mail. This card will be mailed directly to the cardholder’s address of record. There is a Companion Card Fee of $5. This charge will be deducted from your available balance. (You can choose your companion card design in Black, Pink or Platinum.)
The minimum age for a companion cardholder is 13 years old. You can order a companion card for anyone that you want to be able to enjoy all of the features and benefits of the card.
Yes, you will each have your own unique login.
- At participating ion Visa Prepaid Card retailers.
- Through purchasing a Green Dot® MoneyPak® (a service fee up to $4.95 will apply).
- Loading cash at a Visa ReadyLink location.
- Direct deposit from your employer or benefits provider.
I have a companion card and would like to load my pay onto the card. How do I do that?
To sign up for direct deposit, you will need to obtain a direct deposit form to give your employer, along with the customer number and routing number provided to the primary cardholder. This form can be found:
- From your employer’s HR or Payroll department
- On this website
Fill out the form and give it your employer. Sign any required paperwork and be sure to ask when your pay will first be received on your card. Additionally, you may simply give your employer the following information and sign any required forms.
Bank: The Bancorp Bank, Wilmington, DE
Routing Number: 031101169
Account Number: You can obtain this number from the primary cardholder. They will find it in the white box on the back of their card. It is called “Customer Number.” This number only appears on the back of the primary cardholder’s card.
Primary and companion cardholders each select your own PIN. The PIN can be the same or it can be different.
Yes, there is only one monthly fee charged if you are on the Unlimited Purchase Plan or one maintenance fee in the Pay-As-You-Go-Plan.
Yes, you can cancel a companion card at any time by calling a customer service representative at 866.692.9356.
In the task section under “Manage Additional Cards” the “Request Additional Card” link will be visible again once the first companion card is closed. Simply select and order a new companion card.
No, you cannot close the primary and leave the companion open. If you close the primary card, the companion card will also be closed.
What should I do if my ion Visa Prepaid Card is lost or stolen?
You should report your lost or stolen card immediately by calling this toll free number: 866.692.9356. Customer Service will prevent further activity on your existing card and will order a new card for you. There is a $5 Lost/Stolen Card Replacement Fee for a replacement card, which is only available as a personalized card, and this will be deducted from your balance. For an additional fee, an expedited card can be ordered.
- When you receive your new card, you will need to call the number on the back of the card to activate and select a new PIN.
- Your replacement card will have a new, different 16-digit number. If you have direct deposit, it will not be interrupted; you will receive your funds on your card as you normally do. However; you will need to update your card information with any automatic billers.
What is the Visa Zero Liability Policy?*
Visa Prepaid cards are covered by the Visa Zero Liability policy*. This policy protects the cardholder from fraudulent use of a lost or stolen Visa Prepaid card when signature purchases are made.